Sunday, January 29, 2012

We Bee Modern

The Book!
I started a quilting bee with a girl that I met on Flickr called "We Bee Modern". It is going to be a bee based on the 99 Modern Blocks Book (compiled by Susanne Woods) so it should be a lot of fun.

If you have never been in an online quilting bee, you should definitely join one. Last January I joined my first (the New Newbie Bee) and we had a blast. You really get to push your creativity and making blocks for other people is so rewarding.

Also, checking the mail takes on a new exciting twist.

Everyone in the bee gets a month where they get to decide what kind of block they want and the color scheme that they prefer. Some people send out fabric, others just tell you to wing it. In the end, not only have you contributed to 11 beautiful quilts, but you have your own quilt that has input from 11 other incredibly talented people. 

This bee should really challenge us all since the blocks from this book are so non-traditional. By that I don't mean you have to be at an expert sewing level (I definitely am not, haha), it will just be more thinking outside the box than your traditional star block or flying geese. Currently we are still looking for people to join, so if you are interested, check us out on Flickr (We Bee Modern)!

Here is a taste of the quilt I am currently working on. This is this is the first one I have completely out of solids so I am pretty pumped!
My pile of strips waiting to be sewn together. It was a rather sunny morning if you can't tell.


19 comments:

  1. Way to go Megan! Great job with your new blog. Hope it brings you lots of fun, friendships and great sewing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I'm excited! I contacted you on flickr :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great bee! I hope there's room for me.
    Welcome to blogland! I'm new around these parts too.
    I can't wait to see what you make out of those strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be a part of this bee, if there is still room! and I love the colors of all the strips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in joining if you still have room. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested in the bee if there is room. Plus, it will give me an excuse to get the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the blogosphere! Great solids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to Blogland! I know you'll have lots of fun. I just finished my first all-solid quilt top this past weekend and I'm hooked. I loved using a grey background and can't wait to work on my next one. :-) The Bee sounds wonderful. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what fun! I look forward to see what you MAKE with these blocks. I bought the book, LOVE the book but don't know what to make other than a sampler quilt. I'll be watching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would really love to join your group. I've been wanting an excuse to try out this book since it came out! Hope there's still room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to join is you have room. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got the book yesterday, so this must be a sign to join the group! That is, if you have room for me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Waking up to all these comments was awesome! Jennifer is so amazing for mentioning me in her blog! Anyway, we only needed a couple people in the bee to fill it up, but! I will gladly start another one on flickr if I have 10 or 11 people who want to join.

    http://www.flickr.com/people/manichols/

    That link should pop you to my flickr profile. If you are interested, message me. That way I can count up the number of people and possible get a second one started! Hooray I am so happy all of you checked out my blog!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fun idea! I spend too much time and money on bees and swaps tho, will have to sit this one out. Def. getting this awesome book tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, found this from jenn at Ellison lane, I would LOVE to join if you still need another. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flickr me! I am trying to start a second one for all of the people who found me off of Jennifer's blog!

      Delete
  16. I would be interested in participating....if there is still room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sent you a flickr message. Would love to join second group if there is room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like fun! I'd love to, but I recently joined 3 others. Since I've never been in an online bee before, I think 3 is way more than enough at this point! Looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You are leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and try to respond to every comment. If you do not allow blogger to show me your email, the only way I can respond to you is here, so check back! Thanks for reading!